Facebook     Twitter     Youtube     InstagramWHITE    Register Online    Our Publications                                 


1. Who must take boater education?
Anyone born on or after September 1, 1993.

  • any vessel over 15 horsepower,
  • wind-blown vessel over 14 feet and
  • all personal watercraft.

Some violations of the Water Safety Act also require course completion.
A partial list of these violations is in the Digest of the Water Safety Act.

2. What does the course cost?
Fees start at $20 for a basic course.

3. Who must be certified to operate a vessel alone?
In Texas a person cannot operate a windblown vessel over 14 feet in length, a motorboat with more than 15 horsepower, or personal watercraft unless he/she:

  • was born on or after September 1, 1993 and has passed a boater education class or equivalency examination prescribed by the department.
  • is 18 years of age and can lawfully operate the motorboat and is on board the motor boat when underway.
  • is at least 13 years of age and have successfully completed a boater education course approved by the Department.

4. Who can operate a PWC?
NOTE: Children under 13 are specifically prohibited from operating a PWC unless accompanied on board by a person at least 18 years of age.
To operate a PWC, the operator must meet one of the following:

  • Born on or after September 1, 1993 and passed a boater education class or equivalency examination prescribed by the Texas Parks and Wildlife Department, or
  • born before September 1, 1993, or,
  • Persons requiring boater education who have not competed it must be accompanied by a person 18 years of age (who can legalla operate) or older, or
  • At least 13 years of age and have passed a boater education course or equivalency examination prescribed by the department.

5. Is there a minimum operator age?
To operate a vessel alone in Texas, a boater must be 13 years of age to operate a vessel of more than 15 horsepower; or windblown vessel over 14 feet in length; and meet the requirements as stated above.

6. What forms of identification does a person have to carry on board?
Persons subject to this law must have a picture identification card and a boater certification card issued by the department in their possession.

7. Are there any exemptions to the mandatory education law?
A person born before September 1, 1993.

8. Is there another way a person can get certified, other than taking an approved classroom course?
A person may take a homestudy course by completing an online certification course or by purchasing a home study video and workbook from Kalkomey, Inc., 14086 Proton Road, Dallas, Texas 75244, phone: 1-800-830-2268.

9. Can I be required to take a boater education course?
Courts have the authority to require a boater education course for violators of certain offenses.

10. May I have an open container on a boat?
Open containers are legal, but operators of boats are subject to boating while intoxicated laws, similar to driving a vehicle. Operators or passengers may also be subject to public intoxication laws. Drinking and boating is DANGEROUS and the cause of most boating fatalities.

11. Where can I learn more about Boater Education?
12. What are the frequently asked questions about boating laws?

Click here for FAQ about boating laws.

We have information about the program, weather and buoy symbols...even a quiz on our Boater Education page. Check out our course schedule, by city or date, for a class in your area.

13. Requirements in other States

Subscribe to Naturally Fun!

Sign up for the Naturally Fun newsletter and receive weekly updates on program offerings, classes, and special events.

Gold Medal Winner


The City of Arlington Parks and Recreation Department was recently named the Gold Medal Winner for excellence in Park and Recreation Management by the National Recreation and Park Association for 2018.

Learn More

Naturally Fun News

News and updates from Arlington Parks and Recreation.

Read the Blog

Find a Park

Explore Arlington's 90+ parks with the Park Finder!

Find a Park