With Thanksgiving quickly approaching, Eco-Man and Arlington Water Utilities want to remind residents to prevent backed-up sanitary sewers and clogged pipes by properly disposing of fats, oils, and grease.
A great way to do this that also benefits the city is to bring your used cooking oil* to Grease for Greens at Tierra Verde Golf Club, 7005 Golf Club Dr. Arlington, TX 76001 from 8 AM - 12 PM on December 9th!
We will use your cooking oil* to make biodiesel to fuel our lawnmowers and you have a chance to win a free round of golf! (You do not have to be present to win. Drawings every hour, winners will be notified by phone/email).
What exactly is Grease for Greens and why biodiesel? Grease for Greens started at Tierra Verde Golf Club with the mission to not throw anything away. There was a waste stream with Ventana Grille and biodiesel provides an opportunity to not only close this but save money for the golf division. Biodiesel is cleaner, provides more power to our equipment, allows for our engines to run better and last longer and best of all it's environmentally friendly!
- Tierra Verde Golf Club started the biodiesel program in 2009 with a matching grant through the Arlington Tomorrow Foundation to purchase the equipment.
- Grease for Greens started in 2013 when Parks and Rec partnered with Water Utilities to get the community involved.
- Biodiesel helps fuel our lawnmowers, trucks and equipment at Tierra Verde Golf Club.
- The biodiesel program saves the tax payer's money!
- Stripped glycerin from the process has many benefits as well:
- It is a natural soap.
- When heated and mixed with red pepper flakes provides a safe and natural nuisance animal repellant we can sprinkle on the grounds.
- Best of all, its 100% biodegradable providing nutrients to our compost!
Save up your used cooking oil* this Thanksgiving and bring it to Grease for Greens. It's an easy way to give back to the community and help Tierra Verde Golf Course stay green! If you can't come to Grease for Greens and have more than 5 gallons of used cooking oil, we will pick it up. Call 817-459-5902 to schedule an appointment.
*Unfortunately we can't accept animal fats or by-products of any kind. For tips and ways to survive your holiday "plumber-free" visit: CeasetheGreaseArlington.com.
Thanks for helping us cease the grease, power Tierra Verde, and make Arlington better!