Join Arlington Tennis Center for a Memorial Scholarship Doubles Tournament honoring Lamar High School Varsity Tennis Team and Orchestra member, John Cookson, on October 15th.
John Cookson was an honor student at Lamar, a gifted cellist with the Lamar High School Orchestra and a member of the Lamar Varsity Tennis Team. John was also a Texas Rangers fan, and he loved his job with the Ranger organization as a parking lot attendant. John passed away in a tragic drowning accident last May. The loss to his family, friends and classmates was, and is, immeasurable, but they have turned their grief into goodness. This scholarship tournament is a tribute to John, and will become an enduring homage, aiding future Lamar students who will never experience the joy of knowing John, but who receive the benefits from the scholarship fund celebrating his life.
ABOUT THIS TOURNAMENT
The Lamar Tennis and Orchestra Booster Clubs, along with supporters from John's family, circle of friends, and local sponsors, have come together to offer a day of celebration to honor John, with all net proceeds designated for tennis and orchestra student scholarships. The entry fee includes a day of DOUBLES FUN on the court, music by the Lamar High School Orchestra (weather permitting), turkey sandwiches from McAlister's Deli, a commemorative T-shirt by DFW INK, tennis towel and other gifts from Arlington Tennis Center, along with door prizes (must be present to win), also donated by Arlington Tennis Center. Note: Door prize tickets are free with registration, but donations (in exchange for door prize tickets) to the John Cookson Scholarship Fund are welcome.
HOW TO REGISTER
Registration for the “Live for John Memorial Scholarship Doubles Tournament” exclusively through this website: tennislink.usta.com/Tournaments/TournamentHome/Tournament.aspx?T=194205 (Tournament ID is 800064516).
- If you are not a USTA member, just set up a USTA account (it’s FREE), and use that number to register.
- The total cost is $25 per player ($50 per team), which includes a non-refundable $3 fee per player for TennisLink (USTA’s registration system).
- You should register with a partner by indicating your partner's name at registration, which means you will need your partner's USTA number. If you are unsure that you registered with a partner, email firstname.lastname@example.org, and we will check for you.
- If you sign up without a partner (not recommended), we will pair you with someone at random, if available.
- This is a non-sanctioned tournament and will not count for ranking.
- Remember to indicate your T-shirt size when you register!
DIVISIONS and FORMAT
The format for all matches will be one six-game set, no ad, tie-break at six all, First Match Loser Consolation. Small divisions of three or four teams will play Round Robins. Divisions that have only one or two teams (of course, they will ALL make for this tournament!) will be combined with other divisions. Divisions offered are:
- Women’s Open Doubles (age 15+)
- Men’s Open Doubles (age 15+)
- Mixed Open Doubles (age 15+)
- Girls' Doubles (age 11-14)
- Boys' Doubles (age 11-14)
- Mixed Doubles (age 11-14)
The Open divisions are for adult players, as well as high school varsity players. Youth age 11-14 who are Qualified as Champs or Super Champs should also enter the adult Open divisions.
The youth divisions for Boys, Girls and Mixed age 11-14 are for non-qualified players.
Draws will be posted by 12:00 PM noon on Thursday, October 13.
The deadline for this tournament is Sunday, October 9, 11:59 PM. Remember to indicate your T-shirt size when you register!
Whether you participate in the tournament or not, donations for the John Cookson Scholarship Fund are always welcome. Please make all checks payable to the Lamar High School Tennis Booster Club, and mail to:
Lamar High School Tennis Booster Club
P. O. Box 122487
Arlington, TX 76012
Live for John! Memorial Scholarship Doubles Tournament
October 15 | Tentative start time is 9 AM. Tournament goes all day, off and on.
Arlington Tennis Center | 817-459-6163
$25 per player/$50 per doubles team; includes McAlister sandwich lunch and door prizes!
Age 11-14 for Boys' and Girls' Doubles and Mixed Doubles; Age 15+ for Men's and Women's Doubles and Mixed Doubles.
All net proceeds designated for tennis and orchestra student scholarships.